Maryland is bordered to the north by Pennsylvania, to the east by Delaware, to the south by Virginia and the District of Columbia, and to the west by West Virginia. It has a total area of 12,192.97 square miles.
The Colony of Maryland was established by Lord Baltimore as a haven for Catholics, as England was mostly Protestant. Jews also enjoyed freedom in Maryland. Lord de la War (also one of the possible origins of the name Delaware) was one of Maryland's early leaders.
In the 1850's America's parties realigned: Whigs disappeared while Republicans and Democrats struggled over sectionalism and anti-Catholic, anti-immigrant nativism. In the South, including Maryland, sectionalism appealed to rural voters and nativism to urban. Nativism was weaker than in the North because the South attracted fewer immigrants. Nevertheless, the nativist American (Know-Nothing) Party captured the Baltimore government in 1854. The party used patronage and, especially, coercion; its armed forces scared off Democratic voters and forced drunks and immigrants to vote multiple times. The party elected a congressman and governor during its short reign. In 1860 the Democrat-controlled legislature took back the city police, the militia, patronage, and the electoral machinery, and prosecuted some Know-Nothings for electoral fraud. By 1861 the Know-Nothings had split over secession.
- Benjamin Cardin - anti-gun
Maryland is on the Naughty State List
- Big Government-Police State-Nanny State-Welfare State-Statist - Walking to Freedom#Naughty List
- Vote with your feet
- Strategic relocation
- Free State Project
- American Redoubt - Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington
- Free State Wyoming - Molon Labe! by Boston T. Party
- Strategic Relocation-North American Guide to Safe Places by Joel Skousen
- Rawles on Retreats and Relocation by James Wesley Rawles
- Cumberland Redoubt - Tennessee and Kentucky
- Texas Redoubt - Jack Spirko's State
- Frank Towers, The Urban South and the Coming of the Civil War (2004) covers Baltimore.
- http://walkingtofreedom.com/forum/index.php?topic=2.0 Accessed March 28, 2014
- http://www.rollcall.com/50richest/the-50-richest-members-of-congress-112th-2012.html Accessed March 29, 2014
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_richest_American_politicians Accessed March 29, 2014
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_members_of_the_United_States_Congress_by_wealth Accessed March 29, 2014
- http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie Accessed March 28, 2014
Find the corresponding Survival Podcast episode