Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership
Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO) is a group dedicated to the preservation of gun rights in the United States and "to encourage Americans to understand and defend all of the Bill of Rights for everyone". The group was founded by former firearms dealer Aaron S. Zelman in 1989. The JPFO interprets the Second Amendment as recognizing a pre-existing natural right of individuals to keep and bear arms. It is based in Hartford, Wisconsin.
- Destroy so-called “gun control” (code words for disarming innocent people).
- Expose the misguided notions that lead people to seek out so-called “gun control”.
- Encourage Americans to understand and defend ALL of the Bill of Rights for all citizens. The Second Amendment is the “Guardian” of the Bill of Rights.
Founded by Jews in 1989, JPFO initially aimed at educating the Jewish community about the historical evils that Jews have suffered when they have been disarmed. JPFO has always welcomed people of all religious beliefs who share a common goal of opposing and reversing victim-disarmament policies while advancing liberty for all. It was the brainchild of Aaron Zelman (1946 - 2010), a leading national civil-rights activist.
JPFO is a [tax-exempt 501(c)(3)] educational civil-rights organization, not a lobby. JPFO’s products and programs reach out to as many segments of the American people as possible, using bold tactics without compromise on fundamental principles. Find out how you can donate to JPFO: http://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/donation-info.htm
JPFO has always welcomed people of all religious beliefs (or none) who share a common goal of opposing and reversing potentially deadly victim disarmament policies. You don’t have to be Jewish to join JPFO; you just have to love freedom.
Aaron Zelman, a proud Jew, initially aimed at educating the Jewish community about the historical evils that Jews have suffered when they have been disarmed. He was appalled that so many Jewish politicians and influential Jewish public officials and spokespeople actually advocated citizen disarmament. He said it many a time: “Jews should be the last people on Earth to support ‘gun control’. See: An Interview With Aaron Zelman
As JPFO expanded its research into gun laws and the results of their enactments, it became blatantly obvious that so-called “gun control” had played a fundamental role in all the major genocides of the 20 th Century … not just the Holocaust. See: The Genocide Chart
So-called “gun control” is a deadly lie. Firearms registration lists lead governments-gone-bad straight to gun owners. Licensing and registration of guns has resulted in outright banning and confiscation over the last one hundred years of world history. The bloody results of these mass citizen disarmaments have been horrific.
Based on this insight, JPFO broke new ground with the award-winning documentary Innocents Betrayed. In this powerful film, viewers learn the dirty secret of "gun control": how governments have historically deprived people of firearms ... and then murdered them ruthlessly. Fifty eight minutes of hard-hitting facts that leave viewers dazed. More recently, JPFO has made additional award winning movies. “2A Today for the U.S.A.”is probably the best introduction to the Second Amendment available anywhere. “Shall not be infringed” means what it says. Gun registration, permits, and licensing are blatant infringements of the right to keep and bear arms. Aside from being un-Constitutional, “gun control” simply does not work. Criminals ignore all gun laws. To again quote Aaron Zelman: “Anyone who is lawfully adjudicated unfit to carry a firearm should not be on the street in the first place. They should be in prison or in a mental institution. We’ve thrown the baby (our personal liberties) out with the bathwater, making us helpless to protect ourselves from armed criminals and lunatics. And who promotes this delusional illogic the most fervently? Politicians and the law enforcement hierarchy.” Please carefully consider the logic of what is being said here. Next in JPFO’s “arsenal of intellectual ammunition” came the controversial, but irrefutable, documentary “No Guns for Negroes” This film carefully details the racist roots of American “gun control”. The first widely applied “gun control” laws in this nation were enforced against freed slaves after the Civil War. American children don’t learn this in history classes; they are more often programmed with the simplistic lie that “guns are bad”. To counteract the brainwashing of America’s youth (and the rest of us), JPFO has also published the terrific set of easy-reading, comic-style, fully-documented "Gran'pa Jack" booklets that explain: the entire Bill of Rights, its roots, its meaning, and how it is being trampled today the racist roots of "gun control" in America the United Nations assault on the U.S. Bill of Rights how "gun control" laws enabled the murder of nearly 170 MILLION unarmed civilians in eight major 20 th Century genocides how to debunk 21 "gun control" myths ...and much more!
JPFO takes the position that an armed citizenry is the population's last line of defense against tyranny by their own government. The organization is noted for producing materials (bumper stickers, posters, billboards, booklets, videos, etc.) with messages that equate gun control with totalitarianism. The most famous of these are the "All in favor of Gun Control raise your right hand" materials, which features a drawing of Hitler giving a Nazi salute. The organization also presents evidence that genocide is linked to gun control, by showing that most countries where a genocide has taken place had gun control first.
Disagreement with the Anti-Defamation League (ADL)
The JPFO has been highly critical of the Anti-Defamation League (ADL). In pamphlets such as "Why Does the ADL Support Nazi-Based Laws?" and "JPFO Facts vs. ADL Lies," the JPFO has accused the ADL of undermining the welfare of the Jewish people.
JPFO's political positions
The JPFO is probably most noted for its claim that the Gun Control Act of 1968 was lifted, almost in its entirety, from Nazi legislation. The German Weapons Law, which existed before the Nazis came to power in 1933, was altered on 18 March 1938 by the Nazi Government. The JPFO's claim is based in part on the fact that the 1968 GCA introduces the "sporting purpose" test to distinguish different types of weapons, similar to the "sporting purpose" test that existed in the German law in question. Senator Thomas Dodd was a prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials and had reviewed copies of the Nazi Germany firearms laws.
Bernard Harcourt, professor at the liberal University of Chicago Law School, in discussing this fundamental proposition advanced by the JPFO, notes, "[O]n January 13th, 1919, the Reichstag enacted legislation requiring surrender of all guns to the government. This law, as well as the August 7, 1920, Law on the Disarmament of the People passed in light of the Versailles Treaty, remained in effect until 1928, when the German parliament enacted the Law on Firearms and Ammunition (April 12, 1928)—a law which relaxed gun restrictions and put into effect a strict firearm licensing scheme." Harcourt continued, "To be sure, the Nazis were intent on killing Jewish persons and used the gun laws and regulations to further the genocide", but he concluded that the firearms laws were not central to implementing the Holocaust.
Attorney and author Stephen Halbrook, in his law article "Nazi Firearms Law and the Disarming of the German Jews", asserts that German arms laws were extremely lax, and even under the 1920 "Law on the Disarmament of the People", only items such as grenades and machineguns were banned and small arms such as rifles and pistols remained in common use. Valery Polozov, a former advisor to the committee on national security in the Russian Duma, claims in his book "Firearms in Civil Society" that Germany did not in fact have comprehensive gun control legislation up until 1928, which created the legal framework later built upon by the Nazis. Halbrook did clarify in the first sentences of his article that, "Gun control laws are depicted as benign and historically progressive. However, German firearm laws and hysteria created against Jewish firearm owners played a major role in laying the groundwork for the eradication of German Jewry in the Holocaust."
Publications and productions
- “Innocents Betrayed” -- a documentary which reviews genocides of the 20th Century, each perpetrated following "gun control" and disarmament of the civilian community. Full film uploaded with permission
- “Bill of Rights or Bust” -- dedicated to promoting a general awareness of the Bill of Rights and not a primary focus on gun rights
- "The Gang" focuses upon the lack of standardized testing procedures by the BATF and its impact upon the "keeping of arms."
- JPFO filed an Amicus Curiae brief, on behalf of the plaintiffs, in the landmark 2008 U.S. Supreme Court case District of Columbia v. Heller.
- "No Guns for Jews" documents the historical use of gun control as a means of suppressing and persecuting the Jewish people, including arms control as laying the foundation for the Holocaust.
- "No Guns for Negroes" documents the racist history of American gun control laws.
Death of Aaron Zelman
- JPFO: About JPFO Retrieved 2012-12-16
- Samuel C. Wheeler III, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership (JPFO), Guns in American Society, http://books.google.com/books?id=oD46JBOhMU0C&pg=PA455, 2012, ABC-CLIO, isbn 978-0-313-38670-1, pages 455-456
- Horwitz, Joshua and Anderson, Casey. Guns, Democracy, and the Insurrectionist Idea, p. 137 (University of Michigan Press, 2009).
- JPFO online store: Raise Your Right Hand poster Retrieved 2012-12-16
- JPFO: The Human Cost of "Gun Control" Ideas Retrieved 2012-12-16
- JPFO: JPFO Membership Information Retrieved 2012-12-16
- JPFO: "Why Does the ADL Support Nazi-Based Laws?" Retrieved 2012-12-16
- JPFO: "JPFO Facts vs. ADL Lies." Retrieved 2012-12-16
- JPFO: "Gun Control’s" Nazi Connection Retrieved 2012-12-16
- Bernard E. Harcourt, April 5, 2004: Hitler and Gun Registration Retrieved 2012-12-16
- Stephen Halbrook, 17 Arizona Journal of International and Comparative Law, 2000: Nazi Firearms Law and the Disarming of the German Jews Retrieved 2012-12-16
- National Obituary Archive: Aaron S. Zelman Retrieved 2012-12-16
- JPFO: In Memorian: Aaron Zelman Retrieved 2012-12-16
- Second Amendment and Fourth Amendment
- Oath Keepers
- Oath for federal officials
- Oath for federal judges
- Police states-Nanny states violate the United States Constitution-Bill of Rights (especially Second Amendment and Fourth Amendment) and Citizen's Unalienable rights
- Boston T. Party’s state firearms laws ranking from Boston's Gun Bible
Second Amendment Defenders of American Liberty
- CalGuns Foundation - CGF
- California Right To Carry - Home of the only lawsuit seeking to restore Loaded Open Carry to California - http://blog.californiarighttocarry.org/?page_id=110
- Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms - http://www.ccrkba.org
- Gun Owners' Action League
- Gun Owners of America - GOA
- Gun Owners of California - https://www.gunownersca.com
- Handgun Club of America
- Idaho State Rifle and Pistol Association - http://idahosrpa.org, http://idahosrpa.org/membership-options/?choose
- Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership http://www.jpfo.org
- Law Enforcement Alliance of America
- Liberty Belles
- National Association for Gun Rights
- National Shooting Sports Foundation - NSSF
- Oregon Firearms Federation - http://www.oregonfirearms.org
- Montana Shooting Sports Association - MSSA
- National Rifle Association - NRA
- Oath Keepers
- Oregon State Shooting Association - OSSA http://ossa.org
- Pink Pistols
- Saint Gabriel Possenti Society
- Second Amendment Foundation - SAF
- Second Amendment Sisters - http://www.2asisters.org
- Students for Concealed Carry - http://concealedcampus.org
- Washington State Rifle and Pistol Association - WSRPA - http://wsrpa.org
- Western Wyoming Riflemans Association Inc. PO Box 605, Afton, WY 83110 - http://www.wwra.us
- Wyoming Gun Owners - http://wyominggunowners.org
- Wyoming State Shooting Association - http://wyossa.com