Food is one of the most basic necessities of all life. Having sufficient quantity and quality of food determines much of health and longevity, regardless of the situation we're in. The more challenging one's situation, the more important food is to me.
- Caloric Density
- Diet Fatigue
- Digestive Shock
- Dietary Requirements
- Rabbit Starvation
Most people today simply buy food through various food retailers, but knowing how to grow or acquire your own food improves life if time get tough, or even if they don't. These are some of the ways you can get your own food.
- Growing - Growing your own food via Permaculture
- Gathering or Wildcrafting
"By buying storage food now, you are: 1.) buying in bulk which means buying at the lowest possible price in today's market, 2.) beating eventual price increases due to inflation, and 3.) protecting yourself from eventual scarcity. To borrow the modern parlance, food storage is a "win-win." The same principle applies to most other tangibles. Spoilage is not an issue if you buy foods that have been packaged for long term storage, if you keep it away from vermin" by using Gamma lids, "and if you rotate it religiously" using FIFO.
Food can be prepared in many ways, such as boiling, frying, baking, or left raw. It can also be prepared in ways the prolong its storage life.
- Canning a very effective form of long-term storage of perishable food. If you have a garden or other source of fresh food that you want to preserve for long periods of time canning is perhaps the best option at home and requires no special equipment or supplies other than jars, lids, a canner (pressure or water bath depending upon the food) and cooking utensils.
- Dehydrating food is an excellent way to preserve fresh food or to prepare it for further preservation such as vaccum storage or other dry food storage.
- Pickling is a very old method of preserving food that can be used for far more than cucumbers.
- Vacuum Storage is a very quick modern method of preserving food for storage. It is generally much easier to do than other methods, but does require special equipment, supplies, and access to electricity. Vacuum sealing does not negate the need for refrigeration, freezing, or some other form of storage, but it usually improves the effectiveness of those forms of storage.
Storing food is a major component of preparedness, understanding how and why to do it can improve or save lives. Learning recipes you enjoy is a good way to improve your life if times get tough, or even if they don't.
- Dry food storage is important, because most staple goods are dry such as Rice,Wheat, and Corn. Also, once fresh foods have been dehydrated they are stored the same way.
- Root cellars are buried structures that create a natural cold storage environment ideal for extending the life of fruits and vegetables when modern refrigeration is unavailable.
- Canning is a versatile method for preserving many types of foods.
- Pickling can be used to preserve vegetables for long periods of time.
- Fermentation is a tried and true method for preserving a variety of foods including vegetables, milk and meats. Refer to lactic acid fermentation for more information.
Commonly Stored Foods
- Letter Re: Investing in Tangibles vs. an IRA Account Accessed April 6, 2014