Food preparation methods
There are many ways to prepare food, each method will have its own kit requirements, nutrition effects, and other advantages and disadvantages. Many food preparation methods require cooking, others make food edible in a raw state more desirable or preservable. Dehydrating fruit is an example of a food preparation used for preservation.
Boiling is the preferred method of preparing food in a survival situation, it minimizes the loss of nutrition by capturing much lost nutrition from the food in the remaining broth.
Pan-frying is quick and easy and many prefer the flavor that it yields.
Baking is one of the more complex methods of preparing food while on the move or without modern equipment as it requires either heavy items such as a dutch-oven or extra work such as building a mud oven.
Roasting is a method of prepation that is easily performed over an open fire.
Alternate Methods of Cooking
- Solar Cookers utilize the power of the sun to boil, steam, bake or dry food. 
- Grills and ovens can smoke (cure) meats and fish for meals or to preserve them.
- Cold Smoking Meats, Poultry & Fish for meals or to preserve them.
Hygiene during and after food prep is important so that disease doesn't spread willy nilly.
- 1 Solar Cooking.org's Solar Cooker Plans
- 2 Blue Smoke BBQ homepage
- 3 Wise Geek's "What is Cold Smoking"