1337 is "Leet Speak"
Leet Speak or "Hacker Speek" is the practice of using a combination of letters and numbers to disguise their writing. The year 1337 defines the whole idea since if you look at the numbers in a certain way you can see the word "leet".... meaning "elite."  
The War's Wooly Beginnings
The 100 Years' War will have many beginnings. King Edward III of England's claim to the throne of France was rejected and Philip the Fortunate took the throne. Since Edward was also Duke of Aquitaine, he was required to take a vow of loyalty to the King of France, but instead he has been selling off England's wool production to finance a war against France. The Edwardian part of this 100 Years' War begins with amassing money by selling wool, and taking out massive loans to buy allies on the continent. This year he declares himself King of France. Those are fighting words, but not much fighting has happened yet.   
This Year on Wikipedia
Year 1337, Wikipedia.
- Urban Dictionary: 1337, 2014 [last update]
- Leet - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Doctorow, Cory. Little Brother - Download for Free, craphound.com, 2014 [last update]
- Hundred Years' War, Wikipedia
- Philip VI of France - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Hundred Years' War (1337â60) - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]