Joel M. Skousen is an American conservative political scientist, non-fiction Survivalist author, and consultant that specializes in preparedness topics, particularly survival retreat and fallout shelter design and construction, as well as what he calls "strategic relocation." Skousen is the founder and chief editor of World Affairs Brief, a weekly news analysis service. He has done architectural and retreat design consulting in both North America and Central America.
Skousen is the author of several books including Essential Principles for the Conservation of Liberty, Strategic Relocation--North American Guide to Safe Places, The Secure Home, Survival Home Manual: Architectural Design, Construction, and Remodeling Of Self-Sufficient Residences and Retreats, and How to Implement a High Security Shelter in the Home. He also published a booklet titled 10 Packs for Survival, which he has also posted to several web sites.
Skousen designs and consults on hardened retreat homes, often complete with fallout shelters with HEPA air filtration. In the book Dancing at Armageddon: Survivalism and Chaos in Modern Times by Richard G. Mitchell, Jr., (2001) Skousen is quoted: ""You never want to make a house look like an obvious fortress. Those who want in can always move up a bigger gun. There is no way you can design a home to withstand RPG rockets and tanks. I design these homes so you virtually cannot tell inside or out that they are any different from a conventional home."
American Redoubt Relocation
Because of its low population density and diverse economy, Skousen, James Wesley Rawles, Chuck Baldwin and Boston T. Party,  all recommend the Intermountain west (American Redoubt - Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington, northern Utah) region of the United States, as a preferred region for relocation and setting up survival retreats.
Cumberland Redoubt Relocation
For those who are more attached to the East Coast and can't easily migrate to the American Redoubt in the Intermountain-West, Mr. Skousen recommends the blog of M.D. Creekmore who posted Joel M. Skousen's article on Strategic Relocation North American Guide to Safe Places, on the Tennessee-Kentucky Cumberland Plateau solution to the "The East Coast Retreat Dilemma" 
As a relocation specialist and designer, I found safe retreat locations and helped clients develop high security homes in every state of the union and you can too. The concept that anyone caught East of the Mississippi River is doomed is only partially valid and highly exaggerated. You can achieve a significantly higher level of safety going beyond the Appalachians to the high plateau regions of Tennessee and Kentucky. This massive and relatively unpopulated area is called the Cumberland Plateau—most of which falls within the state of Tennessee.
More Background on Joel Skousen
Skousen was raised in Oregon and later served as a USMC fighter pilot during the Vietnam Era. Skousen has also worked as a commercial pilot, and is a member of the Experimental Aircraft Association, the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association and Pilots for 9/11 Truth. During the 1980s Skousen was the Chairman of the Conservative National Committee. He was also the Executive Editor of Conservative Digest.
In late 2007, Mr. Skousen gained attention when he gave his support to conservative libertarian Ron Paul rather than to the RINO and fellow LDS church member Mitt Romney in the 2008 US presidential campaign, in a widely-circulated YouTube video clip. After John McCain became the Republican Party's presumptive nominee in early 2008, Skousen also endorsed Pastor Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party, "As Ron Paul goes back to Congress to continue the fight there, I believe Chuck Baldwin is the person to continue the fight during this election cycle and beyond."
Joel Skousen is the older brother of Mark Skousen and the younger brother of Royal Skousen. The three Skousen brothers are the nephews of Cleon Skousen.
Videos by Joel Skousen
- Essential Principles for the Conservation of Liberty, ISBN 1199306614 (1984)
- Strategic Relocation-North American Guide to Safe Places, ISBN 156861053X (various editions, latest listed is February, 2006)
- Survival Home Manual: Architectural Design, Construction, and Remodeling Of Self-Sufficient Residences and Retreats, ISBN 1199306396 (1982)
- James Wesley Rawles - SurvivalBlog.com
- Boston T Party - Javelin Press Wyoming
- John Jacob Schmidt - Radio Free Redoubt Idaho
- Alex Barron - Charles Carroll Society Idaho
- Chuck Baldwin - Liberty Fellowship Montana
- Alex Jones - InfoWars Nightly News and Prison Planet Texas
- Paul Wheaton - Permies.com Permaculture Montana
- Nutnfancy - Nutnfancy Youtube Channel Utah
- Big Government-Welfare State-Nanny State-Police State: Socialist-Communist Naughty States
- Walking to Freedom#Naughty List
- Vote with your feet
- Strategic relocation
- Free State Project
- American Redoubt - Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington
- Free State Wyoming - Molon Labe! by Boston T. Party
- Strategic Relocation-North American Guide to Safe Places by Joel Skousen
- Rawles on Retreats and Relocation by James Wesley Rawles
- Cumberland Redoubt - Tennessee and Kentucky - M.D. Creekmore
- Texas Redoubt - Jack Spirko's State
- http://www.survivalblog.com/redoubt.html The American Redoubt -- Move to the Mountain States
- http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/redoubt-of-the-east Accessed April 8, 2014
- http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/news-eastern-redoubt-tennessee-cumberland-plateau Accessed April 8, 2014
- http://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/redoubt-east-aka-cumberland-plateau-ot-tennessee Joel M. Skousen (http://joelskousen.com/strategic.html) is a relocation specialist and author of "Strategic Relocation North American Guide to Safe Places."
- World Affairs Brief, May 2, 2008.
- Strategic Relocation The Film - Full version: Joel Skousen sits down with Alex Jones and discusses strategies on how to prepare for and survive major disasters. Joel Skousen is a world renowned expert in designing secure homes, geo-political analysis, and strategic relocation. Preparing food, water, firearms, medical supplies, and shelter may not be a good enough plan. Large population centers are the biggest threat to survival after any major disaster such as an economic collapse. Joel Skousen explains his strategy for survival, which includes acquiring all of the essentials, preparing in a safe location and methods on how to avoid a dangerous hungry population and safely arrive at your secure location survivalist retreat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzjm9MJFSA8
- Globalists Plan to Nuke America Revealed. "The world is getting increasingly unstable. National debt levels are unsustainable, world financial markets are calling for constant bailouts, and the US is continuing to antagonize the Middle East with military intervention. Any number of these crises can lead to a break down in the social order of the high population density urban areas of the United States. Could you survive without public utilities or supermarkets through a winter? Are there enough people around you that are prepared to band together and help one another during social unrest or economic crash? More and more people are reevaluating their living arrangements to be prepared for prolonged disasters. But what if you have to stay in a big city for work? Have you developed some contingency plans? Are you located in a part of the city that will allow escape through the rural byways? Have you made a transportation plan? And, what can be done to secure your home now in case you can't get out in a crisis? Mr. Skousen's Strategic Relocation has the answers." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-XCjF4_l2A
- Joel Skousen: Tsarnaev Brothers Were Set Up. "Founder and chief editor of World Affairs Brief Joel Skousen also talks to Alex about the history of manufactured terrorism and how governments frequently employ this tried and true technique to enslave populations." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6F1NrIhJWM
- Skousen's web site
- World Affairs Brief, Joel Skousen's weekly news analysis
- 10 Packs for Survival
- Skousen on Google Plus
- Skousen on YouTube
- Joel Skousen Bill of Rights Day Speech, Salt Lake City, Utah. December 15, 2007
- The American Redoubt -- Move to the Mountain States