Jack Spirko was born in 1972 in New Jersey and is best known today as the founder and host of The Survival Podcast. He grew up largely in two areas of the United States. The first was Jacksonville, Florida where Spirko lived until he was 13. During this time he had a keen interest in reptiles specifically snakes and worked with venomous snakes along with a mentor from the time he was 9 years of age. At 14 his family moved to their official home town of Pottsville, Pennsylvania. Spirko remained in Pottsville until 1990 when he joined the Army at the age of 17. After his military service he relocated to North Texas, an area he currently calls home.
Pre Survival Podcast Career
Spirko's background is based on a variety of military, technical, marketing and sales skills. Prior to taking The Survival Podcast to a full time business he held a variety of positions both as an employee and as a business owner.
- 1990 - 1993 - Spirko served in the United States Army as a Heavy Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic (63S) where he was also airborne qualified and listed as an expert rifleman. He served in various overseas tours including in Honduras and Panama.
- 1993 - 1994 - Spirko entered the telecommunications field and worked as a contract installer for MCI.
- 1994 - 1996 - Spirko served as a Senior Technician contracted to Lockheed Martin as an optical network specialist.
- 1996 - 1999 - Spirko was a Superintendent for a utilities installation company called Creative Systems which specialized in underground and aerial installation of telecommunications and electrical utilities.
- 1999 - 2000 - Spirko served briefly as a sales engineer for Richardson Texas based Data Connection, Inc.
- 2000 - 2001 - Spirko served as GarrettCom Inc. Southwest Regional Sales Manager
- 2001 - 2004 - Spirko served as Fluke Network's Regional Sales Vice President for the North East Region
- 2004 - 2006 - Spirko served as Masterlink's Director of Search Marketing Services
- 2006 - 2006 - In 2006 Spirko took a position as Director of Internet Marketing for Sage Telecom, the company was purchased within a few months by a venture capital firm known as Silver Point Capital. The company had a track record of stripping companies down, outsourcing jobs and predatory tactics. Spirko was aggressively targeted for retention but after he examined the companies history he resigned almost immediately.
- 2006 - 2010 - In 2006 Spirko co-founded Franklin Spirko Media along with British Entrepreneur Neil Franklin. During this period Spirko also served as CMO for Franklin's firm Cerion Optimization Services. and as COO for Franklin's firm Data Workforce and as Director for Franklin's firm Cerion, Inc.
Additional Business Experience
- In 1999 Spirko created a company known as ProvideTechnology, the company is primarily a reseller of telecommunications services. The company continues to operate simply as a group of websites today. During this period Spirko's primary business was via a company known as Cognigen Networks, (today part of Telarus, Inc.) during this time Spirko was a national trainer for Cognigen and wrote the companies training manual for its 200,000 plus global agents.
- 2006 - 2008 - In 2006 Spirko also co-founded a company known as Marketing ICE with fellow entrepreneurs Mark Barrera and Benjamin Fitts. The company provided video tutorials on internet marketing methods and SEO (search engine optimization). While moderately successful the three partners all had endeavors that they found more important so the company was dissolved in 2008 with the approval of all partners. Barerra, Fitts and Spirko all still occasionally collaborate on ideas.
- 2011 - ? - In 2011 due to large numbers of business related questions on his Survival Podcast, Spirko set up a second podcast about building a business called Five Minutes with Jack. Business ownership is one of Spirko's tenets of true independence. The show has over 100 episodes but is on "permanent hiatus" meaning there may or may not be any future episodes. Spirko has committed to keeping the site and the episodes available in the future. He feels that the material presented is sufficient for anyone looking to get a business off the ground.
The Survival Podcast
Spirko founded The Survival Podcast aka TSP in June of 2008 while still working with his partner Neil Franklin. During the first 18 months of the show (June of 2008 - Dec. of 2009) Spirko did the show during his 55 mile commute from his personal mobile studio a 2006.5 Jetta Diesel TDI. The show quickly grew in popularity attracting about 2,000 daily listeners by the end of 2008, by the end of 2009 the show was being listened to by close to 15,000 people daily. At that time Spirko made the decision to take the show to a full time endeavor. Today the show attracts over 100,000 daily listeners and is referred to by Spirko as his "life's work" and his "true calling". See also Member Support Brigade (MSB);
Spirko calls himself a Modern Survivalist and claims to have coined the phrase as well. His assertion is that all humans are at their core survivalists as they all seek to survive. Modern Survivalism differs from the conventional concept of survivalism in that it does not turn away from modern technology, rather it simply seeks to create redundancies for when technology fails.
Additionally modern survivalism is very broad including aspects of homesteading, investing, economics, debt elimination, individual sovereignty, permaculture along with traditional survivalist concepts like primitive skills and military tactics. Spirko has been called the face of the modern survival movement by media personality Judge Andrew Napalatono
Spirko also bases his methods very highly on the following concepts...
Spirko has likely done more to make Permaculture known in the preparedness and survivalist communities then any other educator on the subject. His primary influence is derived from the work of Geoff Lawton and focuses heavily on earth works and polyculture implementation with a heavy leaning toward food forest systems.
Spirko's belief is that Permaculture is a system of design that should remain free of political ideology and new age mythology. His contention is that Permaculture is an anti political system in support of which he cites Permaculture's founder Bill Mollison statement that, permaculture is anti-political. There is no room for politicians or administrators or priests. And there are no laws either. The only ethics we obey are: care of the earth, care of people, and reinvestment in those ends.
Spirko has received his Permaculture Design Certification from Geoff Lawton and teaches several permaculture workshops a year and occasionally guest instructs at classes run by fellow permaculturists. He is currently working to build AgriTrue a libertarian alternative to USDA Organic devoid of government involvement. He is also currently researching the possible establishment of a libertarian minded Permaculture Ecovillage he has termed PermaEthos.
If I Wanted to Save America
Jack answered with his podcast on "If I Wanted to Save America" (http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/help-spread-the-word-and-share-if-i-wanted-to-save-america): TSP Episode 890 - Listener Calls for 4-27-12.
For one's long-term survival from the threats of the Nanny State-Police state, Jack Spirko created Walking to Freedom. Walking to Freedom is a libertarian initiative by where sovereign citizens are encouraged to pull up stakes and move from the tyranny of the Naughty states to a more open and free state -- to vote with their feet through strategic relocation.
Projects Initiated by Jack
- The Survival Podcast
- Walking to Freedom
- TSP Wiki
- Citizens Assisting Citizens
- 13 Skills
- Jack Spirko
- Modern Survivalism: "if times get tough, or even if then don't", Debt is financial cancer, Tax is theft, Renewable energy, Financial security, You are in control of your life
- "If I wanted America to fail", Published FreeMarketAmerica (http://FreeMarketAmerica.org) on Apr 20, 2012. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ-4gnNz0vc. Discusses Global warming carbon credit, environmental movement, Public school culture liberal values, socialist Big government-Nanny state-Police state of Obamanomics-Obamunism Accessed April 9, 2014