Gun control attempts to restrict the lawful purchase, ownership, or carrying of guns, including those acquired for defensive or sporting purposes. Studies show that increasing lawful access to guns results in less crime, but liberals push gun control because it increases the dependency of voters on government for protection. The political effect of gun control is to shift voters leftward, and hence the primary supporters of gun control are the liberal media and leftist politicians. In the United Kingdom, which already has the strictest gun control in Europe, leftists demand control over 120,000 deactivated guns, although their activation and use constitute only 0.04% of all gun offenses there. But leftists want gun control because fewer guns means greater dependency on government.
Resist Incremental Gun-Grabbing of the Nanny State
This Second Amendment Foundation video is the formal response to Hollywood's Demand a Plan gun-grabbing propaganda video. The video shows one of the main differences between liberal gun control Nanny states (Blue states) and conservative and/or libertarian Second Amendment-supporting "free states" (Red states). This video shows why we vote with our feet:
Gun control is a denial or limitation by governments of the inalienable right to armed self-defense, as promised by the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America. Genocide has occurred only after gun control first disarmed the citizenry.
Gun control laws cause enormous hardships. In May 2012, a gun control law resulted in a 20-year prison sentence against an African American woman for merely firing warning shots against her husband, and there was widespread outrage in Florida against this unconscionable sentence.
In the United States the three primary federal gun control laws are:
These laws have further been amended by other laws such as the Firearms Owners Protection Act (1986) and the Omnibus Crime Bill (1994).
Fed up with federal gun control, in 2009 States began considering (Utah) or passing (Montana in the American Redoubt) laws "making guns that are made and kept within state boundaries exempt from federal regulations" including "background checks, licensing and registration."
The Fallacy and Motivation for Gun Control
Gun control potentially causes an increase in crime by restricting its main deterrent: self-defense. A study by Professor Gary Kleck, initially a liberal critic of gun control, caused him to change his mind on this issue when the evidence showed that crime was predominantly prevented when people could carry guns. See Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America. In the United States, law-abiding uses of guns outnumber criminal uses by about a factor of 1000 to 1, and the removal of guns from everyone eliminates the lawful use of self-defense and its deterrent effect. "Americans use firearms to defend themselves from criminals at least 764,000 times a year." Specific examples of guns being used successfully in self-defense are easy to find. "In 1982, a survey of imprisoned criminals found that 34% of them had been "scared off, shot at, wounded or captured by an armed victim." When Florida began allowing its citizens to carry a concealed weapon, Florida's firearm homicide rate fell by 37% while the national average increased by 15%. As explained below, the political effect of gun control is to cause voters to become more dependent emotionally on government and more supportive of bigger government.
Studies by John Lott and others indicate that gun control causes higher crime rates. Washington, D.C. has one of the highest crime rates in America even though it completely bans private handguns. "Switzerland, Israel, Denmark and Finland, all of whom have a higher gun ownership rate than America, all have lower crime rates than America, in fact, their crime rates are among the lowest in the Western World." Lott demonstrates that in Britain, Australia and Canada, increased gun control in the late 1990s led to increased crime, the exact opposite of what the proponents of the gun control promised. States in the U.S. that have enacted concealed-carry laws enjoy lower crime rates.
- Shall issue: the new wave of concealed handgun permit laws, Cramer C and Kopel D. Golden CO: Independence Institute Issue Paper. October 17, 1994
- Quotes of Leftists Demanding Gun Control
- "In contrast to most other weaponry, firearms are preeminently defensive in effect." Washington University Law Quarterly
- People who support gun control claim that gun control laws significantly reduce violent crime. Why People Are Irrational about Politics
- Gun control primarily restricts the lawful acquisition and use of guns. Over 99% of the guns restricted by most gun control regulation are used in a lawful manner.
- http://www.americanselfdefense.com/gunfacts3.0.pdf (p. 60)
- "This figure is the lowest among a group of 9 nationwide surveys done by organizations including Gallup and the Los Angeles Times." (Just Facts - Gun Control)
- Two 70-ish store owners stopped armed robberies of their stores by shooting at the bandits. "The person came in and pointed the gun at him and my father shot him. I'm proud of him." Buffalo News
- Sitting Duck Policy: True Stories of Self-Defense
- John Lott's Website
- District of Columbia Crime Rates 1960 - 2006
- Slashdoc - gun control
- John R. Lott Jr. and Eli Lehrer - Add Gun Control To Litany Of Misbegotten Gov't Plans
- Cato report
- Gun control quotes
- Essay:US Armed Citizens and Crime Control
- John Lott
- Second Amendment
- Gun Control in Nazi Germany
Find the corresponding Survival Podcast episode
Opposed to gun control
- Second Amendment Sisters
- The National Rifle Association
- Armed citizens defending themselves.
- A Human Right Discussion of the human right to self defense with a firearm.
- Learn About Guns Firearm information and politics.
- Gun Owners of America A no-compromise pro-gun lobby in Washington, D.C.
- What Liberals Say - Category: Gun Control
- GunCite: Gun Control and Second Amendment Issues
- Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership
- National Shooting Sports Foundation
- Students for Concealed Carry
- The Long, Racist History of Gun Control in America