|Atomic mass||196.96655 amu|
Gold is a chemical element. Gold is in group 11, the copper group, it has 79 protons in its nucleus. It is a precious metal which has been used as currency. Gold is found in nature as nuggets or grains in rocks, underground and in deposits. It is a soft, shiny, yellow metal.
The purity of gold in a compound is measured in Karats, with 24 karats being pure gold. 18 karat gold is three quarters gold, one quarter other elements, and so forth. Gold is usually in alloys because it is soft and pliable.
Due to its characteristics being both resistant to oxidisation and rarity on Earth, gold is seen as very valuable. Gold is the basis for a monetary standard used by the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the Bank for International Settlements (BIS). Gold is currently in excess of $1400 per ounce.
Because gold is highly conductive and very resistant to oxidation, it is vital in electronics. Gold plating is used on switch contacts, printed circuit boards, and device leads. There is enough gold in electronic devices to make it worthwhile to process discarded devices in order to reclaim the gold in them.
World Production (2010) 
|Rank||Country||Production (kg)||Production (%)|
|11||Papua New Guinea||66,000||2|
|18||Tanzania United Republic Of||40,000||1|
|39||Lao People's Democratic Republic||5,000||0|
Gold is also used in jewelry. Other uses of gold include aerospace, awards, bullion, coinage, computers, currency backing, dentistry, electronics, glassmaking, gold gilding and gold leaf and medical. 
- Gold standard
- Precious metal
- Inflation hedge - Hedge against inflation
- Invest in tangibles
- National debt: Federal Reserve System's Ponzi scheme of Quantitative easing-Debt monetization devaluation of Fiat currency through Money supply-Treasury bills bought mostly by China and Japan
- Economic collapse: Inflation, Agflation, Deflation, Stagflation, Hyperinflation, Panic of 1907, Panic of 1893, Panic of 1837, Eurozone Crisis
- Stock market crash (Stock market crash of 1929) leading to Bank runs and Great Depression (Economic depression)
- Economic bubbles: The Coming Derivatives bubble, Real estate bubble (Subprime loans, Bailout, Obama administration corporate bailouts), Dot com bubble (Tulip mania)
- Financial Crisis of 2008 leading to Recession of 2008 (Recession), Economic stimulus, American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, Recovery Summer 2010
- Obamanomics: Obamunism Economic planning of the Obama administration fiscal policy, Obama administration monetary policy, Obamacare, Federal funding via Crony capitalism (Obama donor list), Deficit spending, Similarities between Communism, Nazism and liberalism, Obamageddon
- John Maynard Keynes' liberal Keynesian economics of Barack Obama
- Ludwig von Mises' conservative libertarian Austrian economics and Fiscal conservatism-Conservative economic policies of Ron Paul
- Big Government-Welfare State-Nanny State-Police State: Globalist-Statist-Socialist-Communist Naughty States
- Matthew 2:11 
- The Many Uses of Gold, Geology.com, accessed December 11, 2008