An entrenching tool, often called an "E-Tool," is a specialized shovel originally designed for "digging in" or entrenching.
E-Tools are extremely versatile and can fulfill many purposes such as:
- Digging in or out
- Light Wood Cutting
- Makeshift Skillet
- Improvised Weapon
- Folding head and/or handle for portability
- Edges that can be sharpened for cutting roots/branches/zombies
- Different configurations for the shovel head
- Some E-tools have pick blades in addition to shovel heads
- Some e-tools will have either a saw in the handle or serration on one or more edge of the shovel.
- Various metals used include aluminum, steel and titanium.
Many shovel either fold, tri-fold, or telescope to make them more compact packing and transport. Folding can make the shovel less sturdy, but tri-fold are the smallest once folded and the folding heads can often lock into different positions to improvise tools such as a hoe.