Dictator is originally the title of a magistrate in ancient Rome appointed by the Roman Senate|Senate to rule the state in times of emergency. In modern usage, it refers to an absolutist or autocratic ruler who assumes sole power over the state (though the term is normally not applied to an absolute monarch). Like the term tyrant, and to a lesser degree autocrat, it was a respectable title in the ancient world, but has some come to be used almost exclusively as a non-titular term for oppressive, even abusive, despot who rules with no regard for any existing constitutional democratic structures, organs or other entities. Almost always marked by a resilient resistance to reality and rational thought.
This enables the dictator to act in a manner otherwise impossible. As such, grave human rights violations, torture, disappearances, pervasive police state surveillance and the repeal of existing human rights laws and ignoring constitutional protections, become the norm in societies ruled by dictators (even when "democratically" elected by the "majority"). Summary execution by Executive Order is the punishment of choice for a wide variety of offenses, both criminal and political, under the rule of a dictator.
Dictators come to power in a variety of ways. They can be elected fairly and then refuse to give up power; they may seize control of the country in a coup d'etat; or they may be placed in power as the puppet of a stronger country that desires influence in the region. Alternatively, some countries such as the former Soviet Union are ruled by a single party which appoints a succession of dictators without regard for its people; this is known as a systemic dictatorship.
Since the nature of dictatorship is fundamentally at odds with the principals of democracy, dictators are usually condemned by the international community. Consequently, many adopt tactics to try and give their regime an air of legitimacy, such as holding sham or coerced elections, or declaring a state of emergency in the country with the implication that democracy will be restored in due course (almost always an empty promise).
Notable dictators in world history have included Adolf Hitler, Chancellor of Germany from 1933-45, Josef Stalin, General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union from 1928-53, Pol Pot, head of the Khmer Rouge and ruler of Cambodia (or Kampuchea) from 1963-98, Mao Tzedong, ruler of China from 1945-76, and Islam Karimov, current ruler of Uzbekistan since 1991, Kim Jong Il of North Korea, and Muamar Ghaddafi, long-time terrorist leader of Libya.
Some rulers take on the traits of a dictator but have failed to secure totalitarian rule. Examples include Fidel Castro of Cuba.
- "The one aim of these financiers is world control by the creation of inextinguishable debt." - Henry Ford
- "Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." -- Thomas Jefferson
C.S. Lewis wrote:
- Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber baron]]s than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. 
If I Wanted to Save America
Jack answered with his podcast on "If I Wanted to Save America" (http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/help-spread-the-word-and-share-if-i-wanted-to-save-america): TSP Episode 890 - Listener Calls for 4-27-12.
For one's long-term survival from the threats of the Nanny State-Police state, Jack Spirko created Walking to Freedom. Walking to Freedom is a libertarian initiative by where sovereign citizens are encouraged to pull up stakes and move from the tyranny of the Naughty states to a more open and free state -- to vote with their feet through strategic relocation.
- Cult of personality
- Single-party state
- Mobocracy, Social Effects of the Theory of Evolution, Anti-Semitism, Communist Racism, Genocide, Holocaust
- National Socialist German Workers Party (Nazi)
- National Socialism - the Nazis were elitist Police State liberals not conservatives
- Big Government-Welfare State-Nanny State-Police State: Globalist-Statist-Socialist-Communist Naughty States
- Prism-break.org - Opt out of global data surveillance programs like PRISM, XKeyscore and Tempora. Help make mass surveillance of entire populations uneconomical! We all have an unalienable right to privacy, which you can exercise today by encrypting your communications and ending your reliance on proprietary products and services.
- Open source Free software not Microsoft-Apple-Google-Android
- Hologram of Liberty - The Constitution's Shocking Alliance With Big Government by Boston T. Party a.k.a.Kenneth W. Royce
- One Nation, Under Surveillance - Privacy From the Watchful Eye by Boston T. Party
- You & the Police! by Boston T. Party
- Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership
- Ludwig von Mises' conservative libertarian Austrian economics and Fiscal conservatism -Capitalist Conservative economic policies of Ron Paul
- Modern Survivalism: "if times get tough, or even if then don't", Debt is financial cancer, Tax is theft, Renewable energy, Financial security, You are in control of your life
- Invest in tangibles - Precious Metals, Copper-jacketed lead and Firearms
- Permaculture: Growing your own food, Food and water storage, PermaEthos, Permie Kids, Permaculture Principles and Design Series with Jack Spirko
- Like many Jews were able to do before the Nazis fully implemented their National Socialism elitism, one should Vote with your feet:
- Strategic relocation: Owning land is true wealth and Personal-Localized-Regional-State-National-Global - Move to a Free state with Firearms freedom, free markets and limited government
- American Redoubt - Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Eastern Oregon, Eastern Washington
- Free State Wyoming - Molon Labe! by Boston T. Party and Free State Project - New Hampshire
- Cumberland Redoubt - Tennessee and Kentucky - M.D. Creekmore
- Texas Redoubt - Jack Spirko's State
- Strategic Relocation-North American Guide to Safe Places by Joel Skousen
- Rawles on Retreats and Relocation by James Wesley Rawles
- If I wanted to save America
Second Amendment Defenders of American Liberty
- Gun control from Liberals-Democrats-Big Government-Welfare State-Nanny State-Police State-Globalists-Statists-Socialists-Communists and Naughty States
- Firearms debate from the liberal media propaganda
- Gun rights (Unalienable rights) protected by the Second Amendment and most Conservatives, Republicans, Libertarians, Patriots and Oath Keepers such as:
- Second Amendment Foundation - SAF
- Gun Owners of America - GOA
- National Rifle Association - NRA
- CalGuns Foundation - CGF
- Gun Owners of California - https://www.gunownersca.com
- Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms - http://www.ccrkba.org
- National Association for Gun Rights
- National Shooting Sports Foundation - NSSF
- Jews for the Preservation of Firearms Ownership http://www.jpfo.org
- Oath Keepers - upholding our Oath to support and defend
- http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/when-a-republican-murders-u-s-citizens by Ted Nugent Accessed March 28, 2014
- "Few things are as dangerous to American liberty as the proposition that the government should be able to kill citizens anywhere in the world on the basis of legal standards and evidence that are never submitted to a court, either before or after the fact. Anyone willing to trust President Obama with the power to secretly declare an American citizen an enemy of the state and order his extrajudicial killing should ask whether they would be willing to trust the next president with that dangerous power." http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/05/us-targeted-killings-eric-holder_n_1320515.html Accessed March 28, 2014
- "If I wanted America to fail", Published FreeMarketAmerica (http://FreeMarketAmerica.org) on Apr 20, 2012. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ-4gnNz0vc. Discusses Global warming carbon credit, environmental movement, Public school culture liberal values, socialist Big government-Nanny state-Police state of Obamanomics-Obamunism Accessed April 9, 2014