From The TSP Survival Wiki
Revision as of 21:40, 28 April 2014 by Jefferson-franklin
Compassion without wisdom is ineffective. Wisdom without compassion can be cruel.
Appeal to Survivalists
- Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength.
- If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.”
- The highest forms of understanding we can achieve are laughter and human compassion.
- Richard Feynman, in What Do You Care What Other People Think? (1988)
- The whole idea of compassion is based on a keen awareness of the interdependence of all these living beings, which are all part of one another, and all involved in one another.
- Thomas Merton, in his final address, during a conference on East-West monastic dialogue, delivered just two hours before his death (10 December 1968), quoted in Religious Education, Vol. 73 (1978), p. 292
- I could see their woe and sadness, and I pledged to ease their pain; their suffering would not be in vain.
- The Prince and the Pauper, play based on the story by Mark Twain
- When you stop giving and offering something to the rest of the world, it's time to turn out the lights.
- George Burns
- Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace! Where there is hatred let me sow love; Where there is injury, pardon.
- Francis of Assisi
- You cannot hope to build a better world without improving the individuals. To that end, each of us must work for our own improvement and, at the same time, share a general responsibility for all humanity, our particular duty being to aid those to whom we think we can be most useful.
- Marie Curie
- Before I was humiliated I was like a stone that lies in deep mud, and he who is mighty came and in his compassion raised me up and exalted me very high and placed me on the top of the wall.
- Saint Patrick
- I admire the fact that the central core of Buddhist teaching involves mindfulness and loving kindness and compassion.
- A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.
- Albert Einstein
- Wisdom, compassion, and courage are the three universally recognized moral qualities of men.
- Generosity: Charity: Benefit others more than yourself. James Wesley Rawles like to say, "Give until it hurts."
- Morality: Ethics-Chivalry-Honesty-Trustworthy-Fidelity-Virtue-Temperance-Abstinence-Sobriety-Chastity-Sincerity-Sanctity of life-Ten commandments-Precepts-Religion
- Mindfulness: Silence-Attentive-Awareness-Meditation-Moderation-Cleanliness-Order-Tranquility-Equanimity