The World-Wide Danger of Global Cooling
Contributed by Alex Shrugged
As everyone knows, we are headed toward another ice age. No one is panicking, with the possible exception of the news media and science fiction writers, but the trend is clear. If "The Bomb" doesn't get us (meaning an atomic bomb landing on our heads) then the follow-on nuclear winter certainly will. It's only a matter of time. The English meteorologist, Hubert Lamb, has opened a small research facility to look into the problem. It is an exaggeration to call it an institute right now, but in time Dr. Lamb's theories will set the world on fire... uh... I mean, send an icy chill through the scientific community and the general public. In two years predictions of an arctic expansion reaching New York will become science fact. Global Cooling is real. Believe it.   
- "The longer the planners delay, the more difficult will they find it to cope with climatic change once the results become grim reality."
- -- Peter Gwynne writing for Newsweek, April 28, 1975.
The Plumbers are at it again!
Contributed by Southpaw Ben
The team that burglarized Ellsburg's psychiatrist went by the name "The Plumbers", as their jobs were to stop leaks from the White House. The plumbers became infamous following the Watergate break in. On June 17, just after midnight, the Nixon administration started to crumble. It was at this time that the some many hired by the "Plumbers" were burglarizing the Democratic National Committee's offices. They were caught in the act when a security guard removed some tape from a door that was keeping it from latching, and came back later and saw it had been re-taped. As a result, the police were called and five men were arrested. During the initial investigation, the FBI found the name of Howard Hunt in two of the burglars' address books, sparking further investigation. When the Nixon administration discovered this, they immeadiatly began to cover-up connections. Nixon is believed to not have known the exact details of the operation, but upon learning what had happened would also attempt to cover up what happened. This all came unraveled when a $25,000 check earmarked for Nixon's re-election campaign was discovered in one of the burglar's bank accounts. Despite all this, Nixon didn't resign until August 1974. In September of 1974, Gerald Ford pardoned Nixon.
The Munich Massacre and the Wrath of God
Contributed by Alex Shrugged
In short, 11 members of the Israeli Olympic team are taken hostage by 8 Palestinian terrorists in Munich and then murdered. The Palestinians are part of the Black September movement, an offshoot of the PLO. They have been hijacking planes, blowing things up and causing general mayhem to draw world attention to the plight of the Palestinians. (Say nothing, Alex. Keep going.) After negotiations break down the terrorists demand a plane. The West Germans fly the terrorists and the hostages to an air field. The plan is to ambush them, but the German police are not prepared to follow through. At this point everything goes straight to Gehenom. (It's like Hell.) Grenades are thrown into the helicopters, killing the hostages. Five Palestinians are killed by police and 3 are captured. A month later, the West Germans release the 3 captured Palestinians after Black September hijacks a Lufthansa flight. These terrorists cannot be stopped by normal means, so the Israeli Mossad will stop them by other means. Operation "Wrath of God" is on.    
- John "Jack" Spirko: Minor celebrity best known for the podcast you are currently listening to. (Thanks for everything you do Jack. It's much appreciated. My prayers are with you and your family as you guys go through this hard time. --Southpaw Ben)
- Nikki Haley: Governor of South Carolina and U.S. Ambassador to the UN. (Sorry, Nikki, but someone has to do it.--alexshrugged)  
- Scott Peterson: Currently on death row for the murder of his pregnant wife, Laci. 
- Wil Wheaton: Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation. 
- -- In Movies... Ben Affleck, Cameron Diaz, and Gwyneth Paltrow. 
- -- In Music... Brad Paisley, and Eminem. 
- -- In Sports... Terrell Davis, Drew Bledsoe, and Shaquille O'Neal. 
This Year in Film
- The Godfather: A mobster pulls strings while politicians pull his strings. 
- The Poseidon Adventure: A disillusioned clergyman leads survivors through an overturned ocean liner. 
- Behind the Green Door: A pornographic, feature-length film and 3rd highest-grossing film this year. 
- Fritz the Cat: An X-rated animated film and 9th highest-grossing film this year. 
NOTE: Pornography breaks into the Top Ten in terms of gross sales. It is a striking change in societal norms.--alexshrugged
This Year in TV
- M*A*S*H: The Korean War is played for laughs. (After Hogan's Heroes, anything is possible.--alexshrugged) 
- Kung Fu: A martial arts expert travels the wild west beating up cowboys. 
- The Waltons: John-Boy reminisces about growing up on the family farm. 
- Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve begins. It will continue after he passes away. 
- The Home Box Office channel launches: It will become "HBO" three years later. 
This Year in Music
- The US extends federal copyright to recordings: Before this time, individual states handled the issue... or they didn't handle it at all. 
This Year in Video Games
- Atari's Pong is a hit at the arcades: It is arguably a clone of the Odyssey game above. Atari is sued and loses, but in the long run, Magnavox is toast. 
In Other News
- The first scientific calculator appears: It's the HP-35. It sells for $395 which is over $2200 in 2015 dollars. 
- Jane Fonda is photographed sitting on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft gun: She apologizes later... much later. 
- Nixon goes to China: I guess the ping pong tournament worked. Mao looks dead in the photos, but his demise is 4 years away. (I can't wait!--alexshrugged) 
This Year in Wikipedia
Year 1972, Wikipedia.
- Hulme, Mike; Turnpenny, John (June 2004). "Understanding and Managing Climate Change: The UK Experience". The Geographical Journal (Wiley on behalf of The Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of British Geographers)) 170 (2): 105-115. http://www.jstor.org/stable/3451587. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Wood, Gillen D'Arcy (Fall 2008). "Introduction: Eco-Historicism". Journal for Early Modern Cultural Studies (University of Pennsylvania Press) 8 (2): 1-7. http://www.jstor.org/stable/40339597. Retrieved 29 March 2017.
- Climate, History and the Modern World. Google Books. Routledge (September 26, 2002). Retrieved on 29 March 2017. “By climate we mean the total experience of the weather at any place over some specific period of time... normally thirty years ... although we shall see arguments for preferring different periods for different purposes.”
- Gwynne, Peter (April 28, 1975). Cooling World, The (PDF).
- Munich massacre - Wikipedia (2016). Retrieved on 1 December 2016. “The Munich massacre was an attack during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, West Germany, at which eleven Israeli Olympic team members were taken hostage and eventually killed, along with a German police officer, by the Palestinian terrorist group Black September. Shortly after the crisis began, they demanded 234 prisoners jailed in Israel and the German-held founders of the Red Army Faction (Andreas Baader and Ulrike Meinhof) be released. Black September called the operation 'Iqrit and Biram', after two Palestinian Christian villages whose inhabitants were expelled by the IDF in 1948.”
- Bonn 'faked' hijack to free killers - The Guardian (25 March 2000). Retrieved on 29 March 2017. “The Germans were keen to release the three jailed terrorists to avoid Black September fulfilling threats to carry out a series of bombings and hijackings.”
- Olympics Massacre: Munich - The real story - Europe - World - The Independent (22 January 2006). Retrieved on 29 March 2017. “Just as the Palestinians and Israelis were about to land at Fürstenfeldbruck a group of German policemen on the 727 took a fateful decision and abandoned their positions. Five German snipers were then left to tackle eight well-armed Palestinians. The hostages and terrorists landed at the airfield at 10.40pm. Issa realised it was a trap and the German snipers opened fire, missing their targets. A gunfight began, and bullets sliced through the control tower where Zamir was standing. Then a stalemate developed and Zamir realised the Germans had no idea what to do.”
- "BBC NEWS - Programmes - This World - Munich: Operation Bayonet", 18 January 2006. Retrieved on 29 March 2017. “Within days of the massacre, Israeli Prime Minister Golda Meir secretly ordered Mossad (Israel's intelligence agency) to hunt down and assassinate all those responsible for the planning and execution of the Olympic massacre.”
- 'Baffled' Bob Costas To Call Own Minute of Silence During Olympic Broadcast - The Jewish Press - Malkah Fleisher - 3 Av 5772 – July 22, 2012. Retrieved on 29 March 2017. “Bob Costas, famed NBC sportscaster and regular frontline broadcaster of the Olympic games, told The Hollywood Reporter that he would not stand behind the IOC’s 'baffling' decision to deny Israel’s request for a moment of silence to acknowledge the massacre of 11 Israeli athletes and coaches by Palestinian terrorists 40 years ago at the 1972 games in Munich, Germany, and that he would take it upon himself to highlight the injustice during his broadcast of the London games opening ceremonies on July 27.”
- Anthony Breznican (December 21, 2005). USATODAY.com - Messages from 'Munich'. Retrieved on 29 March 2017. “At least nine men were killed who were suspected of having ties to Black September, the Palestinian terrorist group that orchestrated an attack during the 1972 Munich Olympics. The terrorists kidnapped and killed 11 Israeli athletes. Israel has never formally accepted responsibility for the revenge killings. But Spielberg's film postulates that the Olympic terrorist attack and the eye-for-an-eye violence that followed upped the ante in the long-running conflict between Israelis and Palestinians and spilled over into radical Muslim hatred toward the United States, in part for its support of Israel.”
- 1972 Births - Wikipedia.
- "Senate confirms Trump nominee Nikki Haley for UN ambassador", USA Today, January 24, 2017. Retrieved on 28 March 2017. “The Senate confirmed President Donald Trump’s pick for U.S. ambassador to the United Nations by a decisive margin Tuesday as Republican-led committees paved the way for three more of his Cabinet nominees to be approved just days into the new administration.”
- 1972 in film - Wikipedia (2017).
- 1972 in television - Wikipedia (2017).
- 1972 in music - Wikipedia (2017).
- I Am Woman - Helen Reddy (with lyrics) - YouTube (2017). Retrieved on 28 March 2017.
- American Pie - Don McLean - Full Length 1989 Video from Original 1971/72 Song - YouTube (2017). Retrieved on 28 March 2017.
- GODSPELL - DAY BY DAY - YouTube (1972). Retrieved on 28 March 2017.
- 1972 in music - Wikipedia (1972).
- Alex Shrugged notes: For a technical treatment of the issues involved in insinuating a video device into the video signal of one's television, I recommend Don Lancaster's book, "TV Typewriter Cookbook".
- 1972 - Wikipedia.
- George carlin 7 dirty words - YouTube (2017). Retrieved on 28 March 2017.