Devil's Acre Sprouts a Clockwork Orange
The famous English composer, Henry Purcell, is born this year in a region of England that will becomes known as Devil's Acre. He will begin his first musical composition at 9 years old (though this cannot be verified). He will become one of the greatest composers England has ever produced. Certainly most modern people will hear adaptations by Jethro Tull, The Who, and recognizable background music for movies such as A Clockwork Orange. After his death in 1695, Henry Purcell will be buried next to the organ in Westminster Abbey.   
The Virtue and the Problem with 'Starting at the Bottom' *
Young Issac Newton has made very few friends at school. He outshines the other students so that no one wants to draw a comparison between themselves and this brilliant boy, so Issac has returned home to the family farm to learn to manage the manor. His mother gives him an easy job as a "grazier" which is a shepherd for all practical purposes. Unfortunately for the farm and for Isaac's income potential, he is not a very attentive shepherd. Instead, his active mind pushes him to build various types of waterwheels along the local streams. His sheep drift onto the neighboring property, causing damage to Issac's reputation and his pocketbook.  
Unconfirmed But Interesting...
- * The first check is written in England. (It was for 400 pounds.)
- * Tennis is forbidden during church services in New Netherlands. (No serving during services!)
- * No 'Fat Tuesday' for French monks eating meat and drinking wine during Lent. They go to prison. 
This Year on Wikipedia
Year 1659, Wikipedia.
- * The asterisk in the section header indicates that it was read on the podcast.
- Grun, Bernard. The Timetables of History: A Horizontal Linkage of People and Events. Simon and Schuster. “Henry Purcell, Eng. Composer, b. (d. 1695)”
- The Funeral of Queen Mary Extended-Clockwork Orange. YouTube.com (2015). Retrieved on 13 October 2015.
- Henry Purcell - Wikipedia (2015). Retrieved on 13 October 2015. “The processional section from Purcell's Music for the Funeral of Queen Mary was adapted for the synthesiser by Wendy Carlos to serve as the theme music for the 1971 film A Clockwork Orange; the music is also featured in the final scene of the 1995 film The Young Poisoner's Handbook.”
- A Clockwork Orange (1971) - IMDb. imdb.com (2015). Retrieved on 13 October 2015. “In future Britain, charismatic delinquent Alex DeLarge is jailed and volunteers for an experimental aversion therapy developed by the government in an effort to solve society's crime problem - but not all goes according to plan.”
- Milo Keynes (January 1995). "The Personality of Isaac Newton". Notes and Records of the Royal Society of London (Royal Society) 49 (1): 1-56. http://www.jstor.org/stable/531881. Retrieved October 13, 2015.
- Grazier - definition of grazier (2015). Retrieved on 13 October 2015. “a person who grazes cattle for the market.”
- 1659 - Wikipedia (2015). Retrieved on 13 October 2015. “Parisian police raid a monastery, sending monks to prison for eating meat and drinking wine during Lent.”