Going! Going! Gone!
Ladislaus the Magnanimous is named after a respected relative but Ladislaus deserves all the respect any murderer could expect. He is one of the bad boys who is making Rome such a dangerous place these days, but he is running low on money so he sells the city of Zadar, Croatia to Venice for 100,000 ducats which is the rough equivalent of $13.79 million dollars. This allows Venice to conquer a city without a fight... and at "fire sale" prices.    
Great Schism: A Question of Authority
The Cardinals elected Pope Gregory the 12th on the condition that he seriously pursue the creation of a special council to resolve the split in the Church and to resign if the council decided it would be the correct thing to do. Pope Benedict the 13th agreed to no such thing but they have finally agreed to a council to make a decision. Cardinals, bishops, priors and abbots converge on Pisa. There is discussion, some laughter and even a declaration of war against Pope Benedict. In the end, the Council of Pisa condemns BOTH POPES as heretics and elects A THIRD POPE! Pope Alexander the 5th will hold his office for less than a year. He will die while visiting in Balogna. Murder will be suspected at first but historians doubt it was murder. In any case, the Council of Pisa did nothing to resolve the split in the Church.   
Starfleet Hits Sri Lanka. Phasers on Stun
The Chinese admiral, Zhen He, has led the Star Fleet (also known as the Galaxy Fleet) on a journey of exploration. He left the Chinese port in 1405 with over 27,000 men, on 62 treasure ships up to 600 feet long (if the reports can be believed) and various support ships. Zhen He has hit Java and various other ports, setting up monuments to himself, interfering with various governments and extracting agreements from them to become vassals. Now his fleet has reached Ceylon/Sri Lanka while a regional ruling family  is in the midst of a succession battle. Though they are not in line for the kingship the family is considered the power behind the throne. Kumara is a member of this family and decides to start a war with the Chinese admiral. Zhen He will capture Kumara and take him back to China. Kumara will eventually return humiliated and the family will quickly drop out of the power structure of Sri Lanka.    
This Year in Wikipedia
Year 1409, Wikipedia.
- Tanner, Marcus. Croatia: A Nation Forged in War. New Haven: Yale University Press. 2010. p. 27. (BOOK)
- Zadar - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Ladislaus of Naples - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Ducat - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- The Venetian Ducat consists of 0.1107 Troy ounces of gold. The equivalent value in modern dollars is $137.89 as of 2014-Jan-12.
- Gadsden Purchase - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Norwich, John Julius. Absolute Monarchs: A History of the Papacy. New York: Random House. 2011. (BOOK) quote="By calling the two rival popes to appear before it--and declaring them contumacious when they refused--it had implied its superiority over the Papacy itself, a principle which neither of the rival pontiffs could have been expected to endorse."
- Council of Pisa - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Antipope Alexander V - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Alagakkonara - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Gernet, Jacques. (translated by Foster, J. R. and Hartman, Charles) A History of Chinese Civilization. Cambridge University Press. 1996. p. 401. (BOOK) quote="1409-11: Siam, Malacca, Malabar coast, Ceylon. Cheng Ho opposed the claims of Majapahit to Malacca and erected a stele there. He inflicted a defeat on the royal army in the island of Ceylon."
- Zheng He - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Sri Lanka - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Ming–Kotte War - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Sri Jayawardenepura Kotte - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]
- Colombo - Wikipedia, 2014 [last update]