Sequestration: Then and How
Edward, the future King of England, raids the safe deposit boxes of the New Temple in London of ÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂÃÂ£10,000 ($14,621,100 in current dollars, at minimum). This is known as "sequestration" where certain monies of unfavored people are set aside. The KNIGHTS TEMPLAR run New Temple so it is considered a safe and HOLY place to store valuables for people of ANY class...uh...right...  
King Opens a Chain of Pawnshops
The Magdeburg Laws (German law protecting city merchants) are spreading across Europe. The upshot is that BY LAW, Jews are not subject to it's restrictions! Since the Jews are under the protection of the King, this has the effect of allowing Jews to accept STOLEN PROPERTY BY LAW! Since the King taxes the Jews directly, "fencing goods" works out well for the King, but the Jews have little choice. 
In Jew vs Jew Grudge Match.. the Jews win!
Pablo Christiani, a Jewish Christian convert, debates the famous Rabbi Moses ben Nachman (Nachmanides) on which religion is best. King James of Aragon (Spain) is so impressed that he awards the Rabbi 300 maravedis, the equivalent of $11,829 dollars (as of Dec 5, 2013). A couple of years later Pope Clement IV has the rabbi exiled and his pamphlets on the debate burned. 
- "The Financial Relations of the Knights Templars to the English Crown" by Elanor Ferris, 1902, pp. 1-2.
- Measuring Worth - Measures of worth, inflation rates, saving calculator, relative value, worth of a dollar, worth of a British pound, purchasing power, gold prices, GDP, history of wages...
- Jewish Encyclopedia: Magdeburg Law (Magdeburg Rights)
- Jewish History (1260-1269) (Note: I know this debate occurred but I cannot vouch for every detail at this site.)
- "Pope vs. Jews", This link goes to a religious joke, so use caution. If you can't stand the heat, stop setting your head on fire.